Vessel Security Officer 2 Day Program - USCG Approved
In association with Hudson Trident Maritime Security Services, SMS offers a VSO (also known as SSO) training course.
Overview The Vessel Security Officer 2 Day Program course is fully approved by DNV on behalf of the USCG National Maritime Center, which meets all International and Domestic requirements for VSO/SSO training. These requirements include: Regulations 13.1 (Part B) and 13.2 (Part A & B) of the ISPS Code; all training requirements contained in 33 CFR 104.215; and all requirements for issuance of the required Coast Guard-issued credential with a Vessel Security Officer endorsement in accordance with the ship security officer requirements of Regulation VI/5 of the STCW.
Course Length: 16hrs
Course Price: $656
Course Objectives Upon completion of Vessel Security Officer (VSO) course, the student will be able to:
Course Modules consist of:
- Understand the requirements for a ship or port assessment
- Initiate, direct and evaluate the ship or port security plan
- Manage and monitor the ship or port security systems
- Ensure that the proper training and evaluation is carried out for all personnel involved in security matters
- Implement and maintain the vessel security plan
- Train, direct and motivate ship or port personnel involved in security
Satisfactory completion of this course consists of attendance of all modules, passing a written examination at the completion of the final module, and demonstrating abilities to conduct room, baggage, and personnel searches. Once satisfactory completion is demonstrated, a certificate issued by Hudson Trident Maritime Security Services will be issued to the attendee.
- Maritime Security Policy & the ISPS Code
- Security Responsibilities
- Vessel Security Assessments
- Vessel Security Plans
- The Threat
- Security Equipment
- On-board Security Procedures & Security Levels
- Security Training, Drills & Exercises
- Security Administration & Sensitive Security Material
Prerequisites and CFR References To qualify for a VSO endorsement, a person must be at least 18 years of age, able to speak and understand the English language as would be relevant to the duties of a VSO, hold any valid Coast Guard issued credential under the regulations specified in 46 CFR Subchapter, successfully complete a Coast Guard-accepted VSO course, Sea Service.
Fulfill ONE of the following:
Retraining There are currently no domestic requirements imposing refresher training for VSO.
- Have approved sea service of not less than 12 months on any vessel subject to § 104.105 of this part, credited in accordance with 46 CFR 10.205(e), 10.211, and/or 10.213; or
- Have approved sea service of not less than 90 days on any vessel subject to § 104.105 of this part, credited in accordance with 46 CFR 10.205(b), 10.211, and/or 10.213, and have knowledge of vessel operations.
Location Lafayette, LA
Date Call for dates
To register, click the "Register Now!" button on the left. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
← Back to Course Listings